I love pizza. In fact, every time we go to New York City, I declare to my husband that I will “eat my way through the city” by hitting all the best known pizza spots.
I typically end up with a stomach ache when all is said and done, because gluten and dairy are a lethal combination that tend to send my digestive system into a tail spin after only a few bites.
It’s totally worth it, but for the times when I’m not in NYC, don’t want a stomach ache, but do want pizza, I needed to find an alternative.
Here is a recipe for gluten free quinoa pizza crust that I got out of a book called Flying Apron’s Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking book by Jennifer Katzinger. It has become a staple in my household!
1 3/4 cups quinoa flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 tbsp brown rice syrup
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
Cornmeal for dusting
Preheat oven to 425F.
1. Place all ingredients except for the cornmeal in a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Blend until combined (if you don’t have a mixer, just place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together until combined).
2. Dust a clean surface with cornmeal. Scoop out your dough from the bowl and place it on top of the cornmeal. The dough will be sticky – this is normal!
3. Knead the dough gently a few times so as to get everything incorporated a little more.
4. Grab a 12-13 inch sized pizza pan or stone and oil it with 1 tbsp of EVOO. Place your dough on the pan/stone and begin to spread it out into a thin circle. You should wet your hands with water before you spread the dough out as this will help the dough from sticking to your hands.
5. Once the dough is spread out, place it in the oven at 425F for about 12-15 minutes, or until browned.
6. From here, take the pizza crust out of the oven, dress it with your toppings (sauce, toppings, cheese/vegan cheese), and then place it back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Lelio Vieira Carneiro Junior
July 31st, 2017 16:13
If you wish for to take much from this paragraph then you have to apply these techniques to your won weblog.
Lelio Vieira Carneiro
July 31st, 2017 16:47
Hi there I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic jo.