2 cups baked butternut squash (bake as instructed below) **use sweet potatoes if squash isn’t in season**
1 medium sized onion, sliced and caramelized (as instructed below)
8 hands full of mesclun mix (about 8 cups)
2-3 cups of kale, washed, stemmed, chopped and massaged with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 1/2 cups cold cooked quinoa
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds and their juices
1 medium sized granny smith apple, chopped but not peeled
1/2 cup cubed jicama
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, cubed or shaved
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1 scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger, microplaned down to about 1 teaspoon
The juice of 1 lemon (more if the lemon isn’t very juicy)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place all the ingredients together in a bowl, toss, and enjoy the magical flavors as they infuse your body with nutrients and delight!
How to bake your butternut squash:
- Peel, seed and chop a small butternut squash into 1/2 inch cubes
- Place on a sheet pan and drizzle with sea salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of garam marsala and 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes, or until tender.
How to caramelize your onion:
- Thinly slice a medium sized onion. Heat up 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium low heat.
- Place the onions in the pan. Toss to coat. Keep stirring every 10 minutes for about 40 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown.
See the video: